Workstation tips are actually pipette tips as well. They are made of polypropylene, which can be sterilized by autoclaving and autoclaving, and have a siliconized interior to ensure the accuracy of specimen transfer. Here we look at the classification of workstation tips.
Pipette tips, as consumables used with pipettes, can generally be classified according to the application: standard tips; cartridge tips; low adsorption tips; non-heat source tips, etc.
1、Standard type: It is a widely used pipette tip and can be used for almost all pipetting operations, which is the economical type of pipette tips.
2、Cartridge type: It is a consumable designed to avoid cross contamination and is often used in molecular biology, cytology, virology and other experiments.
3、Low adsorption type: For experiments with high sensitivity requirements, or precious samples or reagents that are easily residual, you can choose low adsorption type to improve the recovery rate. The low adsorption type has a hydrophobic surface treatment, which can reduce the situation of low surface tension liquids leaving more residues in the pipette tip.The workstation tip recycling process includes tip installation – volume setting – pre-washing of the tip – aspiration – draining – removal of the tip. -Drain -Remove the tip in six steps. Each step has an operation specification that needs to be followed, let’s take a look at it in detail below.
1. Installation: The correct installation method is called the rotating installation method, which is done by inserting the tip of the white sleeve into the pipette tip (whether it is a bulk tip or a boxed tip), and rotating the pipette in your hand 180 degrees in a counterclockwise direction while pressing down gently and forcefully. Remember not to use too much force, and not to chop the tips for installation, because that will cause unnecessary damage to the pipette in your hand.
2. Volume setting: The correct volume setting is divided into two steps, one is coarse adjustment, that is, the volume value is quickly adjusted to close to their expected value through the emission button; the second is fine adjustment, when the volume value is close to their expected value, the pipette should be placed horizontally, horizontally to their eyes, and slowly adjust the volume value to the expected value through the adjustment wheel, so as to avoid the impact caused by visual errors. There is one more thing that needs special attention when setting the volume. When we adjust from the large value to the small value, just right; but from the small value to adjust to the large value, you need to adjust the super one-third turn and then return, this is because there is a certain gap inside the counter, need to make up.
3. Pre-wash the tip: After we have installed a new tip or increased the capacity value, the liquid to be transferred should be absorbed and discharged two to three times, this is to allow the inner wall of the tip to form a homogeneous liquid film, to ensure the accuracy and precision of pipetting work, so that the whole pipetting process has reproducibility. Secondly, when absorbing organic solvents or highly volatile liquids, the volatile gas will form a negative pressure inside the white sleeve, thus creating a leakage situation, which requires us to pre-wash four to six times to saturate the gas inside the white sleeve, and the negative pressure will disappear automatically.
4. Suction: first press the pipette discharge button to the first stopping point, and then immerse the tip vertically into the liquid surface, the depth of immersion is: P2, P10 less than or equal to 1 mm, P20, P100, P200 less than or equal to 2 mm, P1000 less than or equal to 3 mm, P5ML, P10ML less than or equal to 4 mm (immersion too deep, the hydraulic pressure will have a certain impact on the accuracy of the suction Of course, the specific immersion depth should also be flexible according to the size of the container holding the liquid), smoothly release the button, remember not to be too fast.
5. Liquid release: When releasing the liquid, press the tip against the wall of the container, first press the release button to the first stopping point, then press the second stopping point after a short pause, this can ensure that there is no residual liquid in the tip. If there is still residual liquid from this operation, you should consider replacing the tip.
6. Remove the tip: The removed tip must not be mixed with the new tip to avoid cross contamination.These are the six steps and specifications for the use of workstation tips, for your study and reference.
article source: https://www.biobbsp.com/news/three-types-of-workstation-tips-and-six-steps-to-use-them/