The onset of a new decade brought in its wake the COVID-19 pandemic that has put humanity across the globe in arguably the most uncertain times ever. Given the extremely contagious nature of the novel coronavirus that has already consumed lives in tens of thousands, in developed and developing countries alike, personal hygiene and social distancing are being aggressively propagated by governments, civil society and mass media to fight an enemy no one can see with the naked eye.
The invisible enemy infects people through a physical touch with any object that has been used by a COVID-19 infected person. Invariably, those objects that cause transmission of the infection could be unsuspectingly home and office utilities, the most common being water taps, soap dispensers, electric switches and switchboards, doorbells, etc.
As the pandemic reared its ugly head across geographies, the findings of a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine in March this year reveal that the dreaded COVID-19 virus is detectable for up to three hours in aerosols, up to four hours on copper objects, up to 24 hours on cardboard and up to two to three days on plastic and stainless steel objects.
While the communications blitzkrieg launched on virus prevention is making people aware of how to sanitise objects of common use to stall the virus transmission, it is still not conclusively proved that such sanitisation is fool proof. As the pandemic cases spiral upwards at an alarming rate, it has become imperative for people to adopt and use touch-free gadgets at home and office that can be remotely operated.
Bengaluru-headquartered IFIHomes (www.ifihomes.com), a smart living tech company serving widespread markets, has a bouquet of product offerings that are remotely-operated and proximity sensor-based.
The Ifihomes touch-free products that are cut-out for household and commercial establishments include:
● Sensor-operated water tap – that does not require any physical contact. This tap auto opens when there is any motion like the movement of hands in front of it and shuts when the motion stops. A conventional water tap can be replaced with the installation of the Do-It-Yourself (DIY) sensor-based kit in a matter of five minutes. What’s more, the unit is wireless, so the installation is easily done. Use of such touch-free taps in the hand wash area or the kitchen/pantry prevents any likely spread of the virus among people frequenting those places.
● Sensor-operated soap dispensers – While washing hands frequently is a good habit to have in these times, handling a soap dispenser that is touched by others can be a problem. A sensor-operated soap dispenser is a good option to have today. The sensor-operated soap dispenser gets activated when there is motion in front of it and releases a defined quantity of soap without one having to physically operate the utility.
● Motion-activated light/bulb – A conventional electric lights switchboard could be a storehouse of germs and viruses, especially if they are operated by multiple persons. Motion-activated lights/bulbs prevent the need for physically operating the switchboard to turn on / off the bulbs. Instead, motion-activated bulbs will get switched on as a person walks in after the ambient light goes down and turns off when a person leaves. This is a simple solution for lighting the entrance area, walkway, washroom or any passage. However, they may not be suitable for bedrooms and living rooms given that the lights will get switched on only when there is motion around them.
● Dusk to dawn lights – These lights get switched on / off as the ambient light fades/increases. They are ideal for installation at the gate or in the common area of a building, gate lights.
● Remotely-operated lights/switches – For those who would like to have their lights/switches that can be remotely operated and timed to switch on / off using Timer/Alexa/Google Home, IFIHomes provides switchboards and modules that can be installed in the existing switchboard for the lighting to be controlled with a mobile app, timer, event or through a voice command to Alexa/ Google Home. This is again a DIY kit that can be installed with a rudimentary knowledge of electrical wiring. DIY videos are available to assist customers in this regard.
● Touch-free sensor-based door-bells – The conventional doorbell will have numerous finger impressions that could also leave behind germs and viruses. The IFIHomes touch-free sensor-based doorbell gets activated any time a person comes near the door and the ringer placed inside the house alerts about the presence of someone at the door. This way the door-bell ceases to have any physical handling.
● Remote-controlled video cameras – These camera units are ideal for remotely monitoring office premises, godown, shop or even a place where elders reside. IFIHomes supplies a range of wifi cameras that can be placed in indoor and outdoor environments, connected via the internet. This way, thefts can be foiled, or any water/fire hazard can be prevented/managed through prompt surveillance.
● Automated water/fire alarms – IFIHomes offers automated water/fire alarms that set off hooters in locations where the situation is to be monitored and acted upon. The alarm/hooter can be placed at remote locations that are not necessarily guarded by security personnel.
● Automated solar-powered outdoor lighting – Solar lights have been in the market for a while now. They are mainly used for outdoor lighting when it turns dark, with the solar energy trapped during daytime. IFIHomes has a range of automated solar-powered outdoor lighting that works for five straight days with 1 full day charging of solar cell(s). So, lighting is possible even in times of cloudy/rainy days.
IFIHomes believes the pandemic has brought about certain changes in people’s habits and hygiene practices that will stay for good. People would prefer to use touch-free gadgets and utilities that are in common use so that they protect themselves against virus transmission of any kind. It need not necessarily be a case of protection against COVID-19 virus alone.
IFIHomes has ensured that its products are broadly in the affordable range while adhering to the highest quality standards. The company maintains that “there is a general perception that remotely operated gadgets like what they offer are costlier, which is not the case. They have kept the price level reasonable so that many consumers easily embrace their offerings.” Those who start using touch-free home and office utilities are not likely to go back to any conventional offerings.
IFIHomes prides itself on extending robust after-sales and customer care, which are huge consumer confidence boosters, especially in the e-commerce environment where quality concerns tend to preoccupy consumer minds.
ifihomes.com has been serving its customers for the last 6 years with over 300 products that make homes and offices smart and healthy places. It has been partnering with innovators and labs across the globe to bring innovations to customers. Visit www.ifihomes.com to know more about these products. For partnership and trade enquiries for IFIHomes products, reach us on email@example.com