Point-of-sale systems must have:
1. Built in Reward program – If customers are not rewarded for dining at a particular restaurant they simply will forget about the restaurant and will not have a reason to come back. Point-of-sale systems must have a built-in reward program that automatically collects the customer data, such as a phone number & email address, for future promotions, in exchange for a free item or a discount.
2. Built in Promotions Program – While many restaurants outsource the task of promotion to marketing companies that charge an arm and a leg for the service, having a built-in promotions program eliminates the hassle of having an independent device collecting customer information, and most importantly, eliminates the extra cost. Restaurant owners can utilize the promotions application to promote to customers who have opted in through their reward program.
3. Built in customer database management – While customers are opting into reward programs, their purchase history is also being recorded. Knowing what the customers have ordered in the past can help restaurant owners upsell these same menu items to their customers in the future, leading to more revenue.
4. Built in online ordering platform – This one is a little tricky since there are so many online ordering systems out there for restaurants to choose from. The pain for restaurant owners is the placement of many tablets on their counters, and having to play quarterback with their orders while managing the restaurant during its busy times. The online ordering system must give the restaurant owner the freedom of taking orders on their own branded website, while orders come to the point-of-sale system are fired to the kitchen directly from the point-of -ale system, and delivered using the same popular delivery brands out there at half the delivery fee being charged to restaurants now.
5. Cloud Based – Having a cloud-based system can save restaurant owners time simply by having the freedom to change menu items, review sales reports, batch reports, manage employees, launch promotions and specials, from a mobile application or any computer with an internet connection.
While many point-of-sale systems offer features that may be important to restaurant owners, the 5 above are non-negotiable when it comes to having a point-of sale-system. Restaurant owners must invest all their time in making good food, making happy customers, and most importantly, more time with their family.