The global sugar substitutes market will grow to USD 24.3 billion by 2028 and USD 18.8 billion by 2023, growing at a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period. The detrimental health impact of excessive consumption of added sugars through processed food products and beverages is influencing consumers to seek alternatives to conventional sugar. Sugar substitutes have caused a revolution in the food and beverage industry as they provide a similar taste and effect as regular sugar while offering fewer to no calories. Sugar substitutes prevent the rise of blood sugar levels and may also aid in short-term weight management for adults and kids who are overweight or obese.
Download PDF Brochure: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/pdfdownloadNew.asp?id=1134
What are sugar substitutes?
Sugar substitutes are ingredients used to sweeten food and beverages as an alternative to sugar. They’re designed to mimic the sweetness of sugar without the same calorie content. Some common types include:
1. Artificial sweeteners: These are synthetic sugar substitutes like aspartame, saccharin, sucralose, and acesulfame potassium (Ace-K). They are intensely sweet and have minimal or no calories.
2. Natural sweeteners: Derived from natural sources, these include stevia extract (from the Stevia rebaudiana plant), monk fruit extract, and sugar alcohols like erythritol, xylitol, and sorbitol. They often have fewer calories than sugar and are considered to be more natural alternatives.
3. Novel sweeteners: These are relatively new on the market and may not be widely available. They could be plant-based or created through novel processes to replicate sugar’s taste without the calories.
Request Sample Pages: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/requestsampleNew.asp?id=1134
Sugar Substitutes Market Growth Drivers:
1. Increasing Health Consciousness: Growing awareness about the adverse effects of excessive sugar consumption on health, including obesity and diabetes, has led consumers to seek healthier alternatives. Sugar substitutes offer a way to satisfy sweet cravings without the negative health impacts associated with traditional sugars.
2. Rising Incidence of Diabetes: The global rise in diabetes cases has propelled the demand for sugar substitutes, as they provide a sweetening solution for individuals with diabetes who need to monitor their blood sugar levels. This demographic shift has created a substantial market for sugar substitutes.
3. Weight Management Trends: With a surge in the number of people focusing on weight management and wellness, sugar substitutes have gained popularity as part of low-calorie and reduced-sugar diets. These products enable consumers to enjoy sweet tastes without compromising on their dietary goals.
4. Government Initiatives and Regulations: Increasing awareness of the health risks associated with high sugar intake has prompted governments to implement regulations and guidelines aimed at reducing sugar consumption. This has, in turn, driven the demand for sugar substitutes as a viable alternative in various food and beverage products.
5. Advancements in Sweetener Technology: Ongoing research and development in sweetener technology have led to the introduction of novel sugar substitutes that aim to replicate the taste and texture of sugar more closely. These innovations have expanded the range of sugar substitute options available to consumers, further boosting market growth.
6. Growing Demand in Food and Beverage Industry: The food and beverage industry has witnessed a surge in demand for sugar substitutes as manufacturers reformulate their products to align with consumer preferences for healthier options. This increased incorporation of sugar substitutes in a variety of food and beverage items has driven market expansion.
7. Changing Consumer Lifestyles: Evolving consumer lifestyles, characterized by busy schedules and a preference for convenience, have driven the demand for ready-to-eat and convenience foods. Sugar substitutes enable the creation of healthier versions of these products, aligning with the changing preferences of modern consumers.
The artificial segment is anticipated to have the largest share among high-intensity sweeteners in 2023
A steady paradigm shift towards the use of low-calorie artificial sweeteners has been brought on by an increase in the prevalence of obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome as well as increased consumer awareness. These artificial sweeteners, also called nonnutritive sweeteners (NNS)/low-calorie sweeteners/intense sweeteners, provide more intense sweetness and no or a few calories per gram and are utilized in beverages, dietary products, medications, and even mouthwashes. The United States Food and Drug Administration has already given the designation of “generally recognized as safe” to six of these additives including aspartame, saccharine, sucralose, neotame, acesulfame-K, and stevia.
North America region is witnessing the highest growth rate in the sugar substitutes market
Diet-related disorders are among the main causes of death in the U.S. The standard American diet has a significant amount of added sugars, which may have a negative effect on health. According to the results of the scientific study titled ‘Prioritizing noncommunicable diseases in the Americas region in the era of COVID-19’ published in 2022, NCDs account for 80.7% of all fatalities in the Americas. The NYC Health Department brought together groups and health authorities from throughout the nation to form the National Salt and Sugar Reduction Initiative (NSSRI) in 2009. The initiative released its goals for reducing sugar across 15 categories of foods and beverages in February 2021. The programme urges food and beverage firms to commit to meeting voluntary reduction targets for salt and sugar. Moreover, research by Nutrisystem and OnePoll in 2022 indicated that over 70% of Americans are more concerned of their physical health post the COVID outbreak. A growing desire for food products with health or environmental benefits to flatten the curve of metabolic illnesses is changing how consumers view food and driving the expansion of the sugar alternatives market.
Get 10% Free Customization on this Report: https://www.marketsandmarkets.com/requestCustomizationNew.asp?id=1134
The key players in sugar substitutes market include International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. (Us), ADM (US), Tate & Lyle Plc (UK), Cargill, Incorporated (US), Ingredion (US), Roquette Frères (France), Ajinomoto Co. Inc (Japan), Purecircle (Us), Macandrews & Forbes Holdings Incorporated (US), And JK Sucralose Inc. (China). The key strategies the leading market players adopted include new product launches, mergers, partnerships, and expansions. For instance, In November 2021, Ingredion (US), Cosun Beet Company, Matsutani Chemical Factory, and Samyang Corporation announced the formation of a new consortium to assist with introducing allulose into the EU and UK markets and promoting its nutritional labeling as a carbohydrate. In July 2020, Tate & Lyle (UK) launched the VANTAGE sweetener solution design tools. It is a set of new, innovative sweetener solution design tools and an education program designed to create sugar-reduced food and drinks using low-calorie sweeteners.
MarketsandMarketsTM has been recognized as one of America’s best management consulting firms by Forbes, as per their recent report.
MarketsandMarkets™ is a blue ocean alternative in growth consulting and program management, leveraging a man-machine offering to drive supernormal growth for progressive organizations in the B2B space. We have the widest lens on emerging technologies, making us proficient in co-creating supernormal growth for clients.
Earlier this year, we made a formal transformation into one of America’s best management consulting firms as per a survey conducted by Forbes.
The B2B economy is witnessing the emergence of $25 trillion of new revenue streams that are substituting existing revenue streams in this decade alone. We work with clients on growth programs, helping them monetize this $25 trillion opportunity through our service lines – TAM Expansion, Go-to-Market (GTM) Strategy to Execution, Market Share Gain, Account Enablement, and Thought Leadership Marketing.
Built on the ‘GIVE Growth’ principle, we work with several Forbes Global 2000 B2B companies – helping them stay relevant in a disruptive ecosystem. Our insights and strategies are molded by our industry experts, cutting-edge AI-powered Market Intelligence Cloud, and years of research. The KnowledgeStore™ (our Market Intelligence Cloud) integrates our research, facilitates an analysis of interconnections through a set of applications, helping clients look at the entire ecosystem and understand the revenue shifts happening in their industry.
Company Name: MarketsandMarkets™ Research Private Ltd.
Contact Person: Mr. Aashish Mehra
Email: Send Email
Address:630 Dundee Road Suite 430
State: IL 60062
Country: United States