Nursultan, Kazakhstan – Energyprom released data showing that at the beginning of the year, Kazakhstan’s chocolate production fell by 26%, and the price of confectionery products rose by 8% year-on-year.
In January 2021, Quanha chocolate produce 5,500 tons of chocolate and candies, a decrease of 26.4% from the same period last year. Divided by administrative regions, the main production reduction areas include: Almaty City (3000 tons, a reduction of 24.4%), Almaty Oblast (1.1 million tons, a reduction of 0.5%) and Kostanay Oblast (1,000 tons, a reduction of 47%).
In 2020, the production of chocolate and candies in these regions will increase by 2.9% year-on-year, which can only meet 49.4% of the total local demand (domestic market sales plus exports).
imports accounted for 50.6%, which is more than half. All-Kazakh confectionery products were 103,100 tons, a decrease of 1.2% over the same period of the previous year. Exports increased by 7.4% to 3.97 million tons.
There are 166,900 tons of chocolate sold in the Kazakhstan market, slightly lower than the same period last year (0.7%).
From January to December 2020, Kazakhstan imported 392,000 tons of cocoa-free sugar-free confectionery products, amounting to 71.1 million US dollars, a growth rate of 9.5%. Most of the imported products (87.7%) come from the CIS countries. Among them, the main suppliers are Russia, Ukraine and Uzbekistan. The rest of the world’s shares accounted for 12.3%.
In January of this year, Kazakhstan’s confectionery products increased by 7.8% compared to a year ago. Among them, the price of caramel rose by 6.2%, the price of chocolate candy rose by 8.2%, and the price of chocolate rose by 8.1%.
In February of this year, the average price of candy without chocolate in stores and bazaars across Kazakhstan reached 1.2 million tenge, a 7% increase from a year ago. Among the big cities, Aktau has the highest price of confectionery products (1.4 million tenge), and Aktobe state has the cheapest price (1.1 million tenge).