3D Cell Culture Market Overview
The 3D cell culture market is expected to register a CAGR of 12.5% during the forecast period of 2021-2026. The 3D cell culture market is witnessing stable growth due to the following factors, like the use of 3D cell culture models as alternative tools for in vivo testing, the development of automated large-scale cell culture systems, and the rising need for organ transplantation. The 3D cell culture and co-culture models have huge benefits since they not only enable drug safety and efficacy assessment in a more in vivo–like context than traditional 2D cell cultures, but they can eliminate the species differences that pose limitations in the interpretation of the preclinical outcomes, by allowing drug testing directly in human systems.
Impact of COVID-19 on the 3D Cell Culture Market
The COVID-19 pandemic is expected to have a significant impact on the market. Researchers working on COVID-19 with relevant matrices for 3D cell culture and suitable for air-liquid interface culture, need to investigate in vitro the mechanisms of the systemic consequences of cell cultures and to test potential therapies in a physiological microenvironment. This is the primary reason for the 3D cell cultures used in the COVID-19 research. According to an article appearing in Frontiers Online in March 2021 titled, ‘3D Tissue Models as an Effective Tool for Studying Viruses and Vaccine Development’, there are benefits of using 3D tissue culture techniques over 2D tissue culture when studying viral infections and the implications with regards to studying COVID-19.
Check our other latest reports on –
- Cell Culture Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, And Forecasts (2021 – 2026)
- Cell Line Development Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)
3D Cell Culture Market – Geographical Overview
North America dominates the overall 3D cell culture market with the United States being the major contributor to the 3D cell culture market
The United States is focusing on R&D and has been making significant investments in research on 3D cell culture for the past few years. According to the organdonor.gov websites of the United States Health Resources and Services Administration, 107,103 patients were on the national organ transplant waiting list in the year 2020. Data from the website also states that 39,000 organ transplants are conducted in the United States every year. Thus, the increase in organ transplants is rising the demand for research models, which, in turn, increases 3D cell cultures demand. This is expected to boost the market growth.
Key Highlights of the 3D Cell Culture Market
- The 3D cell culture market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. The presence of major market players, such as Corning Incorporated, Lonza AG, Merck KGaA, and Thermo Fisher Scientific, is increasing the overall competitive rivalry in the market.
- Bioengineering involves 3D cell culture research. According to the National Institute of Health, in 2020, the total investment in various bioengineering technologies amounted to USD 5,646, an increase from USD 5,091 in 2019. These factors have augmented the US 3D cell culture market.
- The microchips segment under the product is expected to see a significant growth rate over the forecast period. These chips can be manufactured at low cost and allow to test a wide range of concentrations in the dosage of medicine. This advantage is expected to drive the demand for microchips, primarily to accelerate scientific research.
Related Reports & Links
- Cell Viability Assays Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)
- Cell-Based Assay Market – Growth, Trends, COVID-19 Impact, and Forecasts (2021 – 2026)
List of Key Players in the 3D Cell Culture Market
- BiomimX SRL
- CN Bio Innovations
- Corning Incorporated
- Hurel Corporation
- InSphero AG
- Lonza AG
- Merck KGaA
- MIMETAS BV
- Nortis Inc.
- Thermo Fisher Scientific
- Sartorius AG
- Promocell GmbH
*List Not Exhaustive
Mordor Intelligence has segmented the global 3D cell culture market on the basis of Product, Application, End-user, and Geography:
- Product Type (Market Size & Forecast (2018-2026) in USD billion)
- Scaffold-Based 3D Cell Cultures
- Micropatterned Surface Microplates
- Other Products
- Scaffold-Free 3D Cell Cultures
- Hanging drop microplates
- Microfluidic 3D cell culture
- Other Products
- 3D Bioreactors
- Application Type (Market Size & Forecast (2018-2026) in USD billion)
- Drug Discovery
- Tissue Engineering
- Clinical Applications
- Other Applications
- End-User Type (Market Size & Forecast (2018-2026) in USD billion)
- Research Laboratories and Institutes
- Biotechnology and Pharmaceutical Companies
- Other End Users
- Geography (Market Size & Forecast (2018-2026) in USD billion)
- North America
- United States
- United Kingdom
- Rest of Europe
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia-Pacific
- Middle East and Africa
- South Africa
- Rest of Middle East and Africa
- South America
- Rest of South America
About Mordor Intelligence
Mordor Intelligence is a market intelligence and advisory firm. Our mission is to map complex business ecosystems across the globe to better predict butterfly effects. To date, we have partnered with 4000+ enterprises across 20 industries, to deliver precise data and actionable insights in over 6000 projects. Our domain-specific teams of research experts continuously track markets, enabling our clients to gain a competitive edge through high-quality market intelligence.
We offer fully tailored intelligence solutions to meet the unique business requirements of any organization. Our deep industry expertise coupled with cross-functional analyst teams ensures we can support the intelligence requirements of even the most specific of business problems.
Company Name: Mordor Intelligence Private Limited
Contact Person: Bhargav P
Email: Send Email
Phone: +1 617-765-2493
Address:5th Floor, Rajapushpa Summit, Nanakramguda Rd, Financial District, Gachibowli
State: Telangana 500008