“Instant Payments: A Global View”, report contains an in-depth review of instant payment systems around the world, including analysis of the key systems currently in place, and their strengths and weaknesses.
Instant payment systems are becoming increasingly prevalent worldwide, as central banks and other national bodies react to the drastic increase in electronic payment volume that has taken place over the past decade. The “instant” payment aspect of these new systems is also derived from consumer demand for instant gratification, itself arising from the rapid development of access to information, products, and services on the internet.
Specifically the report –
– Defines the term “instant payments” as it applies to consumer/retail payments.
– Identifies the main features of instant payment systems and the consumer needs these serve.
– Analyzes the instant payment systems currently in place in key markets in Europe, Asia, Africa, and the Americas.
– Provides an in-depth analysis of the instant payment systems in place in the UK and Singapore, as well as the system being developed in Australia.
– In today’s connected world consumers have come to expect instant fund transfers in the same way they expect instant access to information on their computers or smartphones.
– Fast payment systems are live in 18 markets globally, and are planned in 24 markets – these systems are still the exception rather than the rule, but this is expected to change in the near future.
– The benefits of instant payment systems for banks and other payment service providers vary from increased potential to deliver new services to customers, to efficiencies created through the shift from paper-based to electronic payments, to strengthening relationships with current customers and facilitating customer acquisition.
Reasons to buy
– Understand the context (both in terms of market-level drivers and consumer drivers) behind the development of instant payment systems.
– Learn about the key features of instant payment systems worldwide, which players use them, and what advantages they offer to consumers.
– Gain an in-depth understanding of the latest system in development: the New Payments Platform in Australia.
Table of Content: Key Points
EXECUTIVE SUMMARY 1
1.1. Definition of instant payments 1
1.2. Key findings 1
1.3. Critical success factors 1
2. KEY TAKE-OUTS 7
2.1. Why develop an immediate payment system? 7
2.1.1. Instant payment is the catalyst for the future of banking 7
2.1.2. Cost savings from immediate payments will come first, revenues later 9
3. REAL-TIME RETAIL PAYMENT SYSTEMS 12
3.1. The digital economy has led to the implementation of instant payments in most markets 12
3.2. Definition of key terms 13
3.2.1. Real-time retail payment system vs real-time gross settlement 13
3.2.2. Instant payments 14
4. THE NEED FOR INSTANT PAYMENTS 15
4.1. Why are instant payments being implemented? 15
4.1.1. Central banks are largely behind the push for instant payments 15
4.1.2. The rapid development of communication technologies brings new possibilities for payments 16
4.1.3. Instant payment systems provide an opportunity to upgrade security 17
4.1.4. Consumer non-cash payment volumes have risen at a rapid rate, straining older systems 17
5. INSTANT PAYMENTS AROUND THE WORLD 19
5.1. Asia Pacific 20
5.1.1. Japan led the world in faster payments but with a system that was limited in scope 20
5.1.2. Instant payment development in South Korea was influenced by its electronic industry and government 21
5.1.3. Economics determined the need for instant payment in China 22
5.1.4. India hopes to reduce dependence on cash through instant payments 24
5.2. South America 25
5.2.1. Brazil – SITRAF (2002) 25
5.2.2. Chile – Transferencias en Linea (2008) 26
5.2.3. Mexico – Sistema de pagos electronicos interbancarios (2004) 26
5.3. Middle East and Africa 26
5.3.1. South Africa – Real-Time Clearing (2006) 26
5.3.2. Nigeria – NIBSS Instant Payment (2011) 27
5.3.3. Turkey – Retail Payment System (2012) 27
5.4. Europe 27
5.4.1. Denmark wanted a platform that could make P2P payments in true real-time 27
5.4.2. Poland offers two instant payment platforms 27
6. INSTANT PAYMENT IN THE UK, SINGAPORE, AND SWEDEN 29
6.1. UK: Faster Payments Scheme 29
6.1.1. Credit transfer usage has grown by almost 30% since the inception of Faster Payments 29
Get in touch:
Company Name: Wiseguyreports.com
Contact Person: Norah Trent
Phone: +1 646 845 9349, +44 208 133 9349