Catastrophic injury claims are worth much more than other types of personal injury claims. If someone suffered such an injury, it’s imperative that they receive the compensation you deserve. Teaming with a knowledgeable attorney can help them meet this goal.
All personal injuries are preventable and have negative financial implications. However, catastrophic injuries have lengthy and far-reaching consequences. As such, they are treated differently, and no doubt need the attention of an experienced Chicago personal injury lawyer.
What is a Catastrophic Injury?
What sets catastrophic injuries apart from other personal injuries is that they are much more devastating and expensive. If someone falls and breaks their ankle, of course, they will suffer pain, possibly require surgery, physical therapy, and might be out of work for a few months. On the other hand, if someone falls and sustains a head injury, they might never be the same. They might not be able to take care of themselves or ever work again in the future. A Chicago personal injury attorney can help victims and their families recover financial compensation for these extreme injuries.
Examples of catastrophic injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury (TBI), which can cause life-long thinking dysfunctions, abnormal speech and language, emotional problems, and decreased ability to move arms and legs.
- Spinal cord injury (SCI), which can lead to partial or total paralysis, exaggerated reflexes and spasms, chronic pain, respiratory and circulatory problems, and the loss of bowel and bladder control.
- Severe burn injuries, which can also result in limb loss, disfigurement, infections, and permanent disability depending on the area and extent of the burns.
- Limb loss in an accident, which often leads to incredible physical and emotional challenges for the amputee and their loved ones.
- Ruptured organs such as kidneys, spleen, liver, or bowels from a car or other accident, resulting in potentially life-threatening internal bleeding.
Damages in a Catastrophic Injury Case
Each catastrophic injury claim is unique, and it can be hard to put a price tag on such severe injuries. Damages in a catastrophic injury case are often insurmountable. Determining the value of a victim’s damages usually requires the skill of a Chicago personal injury lawyer and accounting and financial experts.
Not only will victims have damages now but also far into the future. Their damages might include:
- Emergency medical care
- Future medical expenses
- Visiting nursing care
- Prescription and over the counter medications
- Physical and occupational therapies
- Mental health counseling
- Medical equipment
- Costs to retrofit a home to accommodate a wheelchair or other changes
- Lost wages
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
After a Catastrophic Injury, Turn to an Experienced Chicago Personal Injury Lawyer for Help
Every catastrophic claim value is different. Victims can learn what theirs might be worth by talking to an attorney as soon as possible after their accident.
Seeking the assistance an injury victim needs is a crucial part of moving forward and healing. A compassionate Chicago personal injury attorney could be an integral part of a catastrophic injury recovery efforts. Tackling the obstacles of negotiation and litigation could be more manageable with a legal professional in the corner, fighting every step of the way.
Call the skilled personal injury attorneys at Malman Law today at (312) 629-0099 or use our online contact form. We offer free, no-obligation consultations to injured clients.
Company Name: Malman Law
Contact Person: Steven Malman
Email: Send Email
Phone: (312) 629-0099
Address:205 W. Randolph St., #1700
State: Illinois, 60606
Country: United States