Fleetwood Australia is proud to support Movember, the charity that strives to change the face of men’s health. As an industry leader in the manufacture of high-quality caravans, motorhomes and campers, Fleetwood Australia is leading a campaign to raise vital funds for men’s health.
A lot of people don’t have any idea what Movember is. It is the month when men raise awareness of men’s health issues while getting their ‘mo’ on. During the month of November, men across Australia and around the world will be growing their moustaches to help raise awareness and funds for prostate cancer, mental health, suicide prevention and other male health concerns.
Why the need for Movember?
The short answer is: that men’s health is in crisis.
Unlike women, men do not have a monthly reminder of their health. This can lead many to ignore their health until it’s too late. Men don’t go to the doctor regularly and are three times more likely to die from suicide than women. They also tend to ignore symptoms until they get really bad, which is why prostate cancer often goes undiagnosed until it’s too late.
Research shows that men die on average five years younger than women – and that’s a conservative estimate.
- Prostate cancer is the most common cancer among Australian men, yet only one in five men will survive it.
- In fact, prostate cancer kills more Australian men than car accidents, skin cancer and suicide combined. More than 2,500 men will be diagnosed with prostate cancer this year, and more than 1,000 will lose their lives.
- Testicular cancer is another common cancer found in young men globally.
In short, every year, millions of men die from preventable diseases that include testicular, colorectal, lung and skin cancers (source: WHO).
Movember is a global charity committed to men living happier, healthier, longer lives. The main aim of this movement is to have an everlasting impact on the face of men’s health. What began as moustaches grown in November to raise awareness has grown into a global charity.
Fleetwood is proud to be a part and supporter of Movember. We have successfully raised funds for Movember, an initiative to stop men from dying too young. The company raised funds of over $100,000 that have helped over 1250 men’s health projects worldwide.
We fund programs in the following areas: prostate cancer and testicular cancer; mental health and suicide prevention; physical inactivity, obesity and unhealthy eating; and many other research and support services for men.
The challenge to our community:
So again, this year, we are giving a challenge to our community to talk about men’s health openly and honestly. It is to uplift the awareness of men’s health across Fleetwood to encourage people to take participation in this movement. Mo Sisters, Mo Bros, and even non-binary Mos can also get involved with Movember in creative and fun ways.
- Mo Bros and Mo Sistas are expected to have moustaches at all times during the month of Movember.
- You have to run or walk for at least a month.
- Get involved in quiz nights and tournaments, and do something fun with your colleagues.
- Donate via our Fleetwood Mo Space
Your little donation can even make a big difference in a man’s life. So don’t hesitate to donate.