A Toronto family doctor’s surgery has developed a special guide for patients to ensure they get the most out of their appointments.
Bay College Clinic said it was always looking out for ways to better look after its patients and wanted to help them with their visits to their family practice, so doctors have pulled together some top tips.
Patients only have 10 to 15 minutes with their doctors, so Bay College Clinic has said that it is really important to use this time wisely by getting prepared ahead of the appointment.
- Write down all questions, starting with the most important
- New patients should ensure sure they bring details of their medical history and medication so the doctor can be across everything that has happened very quickly
- Already registered patients just need to take details of any new information / change of circumstances or symptoms
- Starting a health journal to keep a record of key health statistics or changes in circumstances might be helpful for the doctors. This could include blood pressure, cholesterol, sleep patterns, eating habits and exercise
- Take a list of medication, vitamins and supplements, including the dosage e.g. 100mg / 250mg
Talk openly to the doctor
Bay College Clinic is a family practice and wants to make sure patients feel comfortable talking openly and honestly to their doctors to make sure they have all the information they need to help, no matter how embarrassing or scary it might be. Patients are encouraged to get their worries or big issues out of the way at the very beginning, so the doctor has the whole appointment to help. Bay College Clinic suggested patients consider the following list of talking points when they are in their appointment.
Getting prepared for the appointment means that patients don’t have to worry about remembering everything they need to say to the doctor, so it gives them time to address any questions or concerns they have.
Doctors always want to make sure patients leave their consultations armed with all the information they need, but have encouraged them to speak up if they still feel they need more time to discuss their issues with another member of staff, on the phone with the doctor or with another appointment.
Take Information Home
Bay College Clinic encourages patients to write down the advice from the doctor so they do not forget anything, or to ask the doctor for any written literature that might help them understand their circumstances better. They have suggested having a family member at appointments could help patients by taking notes as it is so difficult to remember everything, particularly if it is a condition that is creating stress with the patient.
About Bay College Clinic
Bay College Clinic is a family doctor’s surgery in downtown Toronto and has provided a friendly and comprehensive service to the local community for nearly a century. The surgery is a one-stop healthcare destination that brings cardiology, physiotherapy, pharmacy, x-ray, ultrasound and family doctors all under one roof.
Company Name: Bay College Medical & Lockwood Diagnostic
Contact Person: Media Relations
Email: Send Email
Address:790 Bay St #108