Ambulatory Surgery Center Industry Overview
The global ambulatory surgery center market size was valued at USD 75.2 billion in 2018 and is expected to reach USD 120.8 billion by 2026, registering at a CAGR of 6.1% over the forecast period. Increasing demand for minimally invasive surgeries, technological developments in surgical devices and equipment, and surgeons’ control over the choice of such equipment are some of the factors responsible for ASC market growth.
Rising healthcare costs are a major concern plaguing the industry and with it comes the fact that not many patients can afford the treatment they need, including surgical procedures. This has compelled healthcare providers to come up with new ways to make such services more affordable while also focusing on quality. ASCs have proven to be an effective solution in this scenario.
Gather more insights about the market drivers, restrains and growth of the Global Ambulatory Surgery Center Market
High hospitalization costs have also translated into dipping patient admissions in hospitals, with the number of outpatient visits witnessing a surge. According to the American Hospital Association, the total number of outpatient admissions increased from 624 million in 2008 to 675 million in 2012, while the number of inpatient admissions decreased from 35.76 million to 34.40 million in the same duration. The hike in outpatient admissions can also be attributed to the adoption of technologically advanced techniques in outpatient centers, rendering treatment cost-effective and speedier. Advanced surgical methods in such settings enable tests and procedures to be performed without hospital admission.
The rising number of collaborations and acquisitions in the field is also a key factor expected to drive the ASC market through 2026. In January 2017, Surgical Care Affiliates, Inc. (SCA) and Optum entered into an agreement to expand OptumCare’s capabilities in outpatient surgical procedures. In December 2016, SCA collaborated with Midwest Center for Day Surgery. The partnership was aimed at expanding SCA’s position as a low-cost, high-quality surgical services provider in Chicago. In addition, in December 2016, SCA entered into a partnership with Surgery Center at Doral (SCD) to enhance its presence in Miami. This collaboration was targeted to help provide high-quality surgical care at low costs to patients.
Ambulatory Surgery Center Market Segmentation
Based on Application Insights, the market is segmented into Ophthalmology, Orthopedics, Gastroenterology, Pain Management/Spinal Injections, Plastic Surgery & others
- In 2018, the gastroenterology segment accounted for the largest share in the global market due to a wide presence of gastroenterology departments across the world. In the U.S., the gastroenterology department is present in 34.0% of all outpatient surgical centers, and around 3,744 gastroenterology procedures are performed in each of the ambulatory centers annually.
- The plastic surgery segment is anticipated to witness the fastest growth over the forecast period. Increasing demand for reconstructive surgery has fueled the growth of ASCs owing to the aging population.
Based on Regional Insights the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, & Latin America & Middle East and Africa
- North America dominated the market in 2018 and is expected to maintain its position during the forecast period. Major factors contributing to the growth of this market are increasing government funding to advance primary care services and rising coverage for outpatient services.
- The concept of ASCs is still new in Asia Pacific. However, increasing healthcare costs owing to the rise in prevalence of chronic diseases, the aging population, high healthcare expenditure, and increasing hospital readmissions, have resulted in the expansion of outpatient centers.
Browse through Grand View Research’s Medical Devices Industry Research Reports
- North America Breast Reconstruction Market: The North America breast reconstruction market size was valued at USD 206.10 million in 2021 and is projected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 6.69% from 2022 to 2030. Rising breast cancer patients and increase in number of breast reconstruction surgeries are the major factors driving the market.
- Hearing Aids Market: The global hearing aids market size was valued at USD 10.1 billion in 2021 and is expected to expand at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 4.9% from 2022 to 2030. The market growth can be attributed to key factors such as the increasing adoption of hearing aids devices, growing awareness regarding technologically advanced devices for the treatment of deafness and hearing impairment.
Market Share Insights:
- December 2018: Terveystalo acquired Attendo’s Finland-based healthcare services, and the combined operations were likely to start from January 2019. This acquisition has helped the company strengthen its foothold in the market in Finland.
Key Companies Profile:
Acquisitions and collaborations with hospitals to expand their geographical reach and product portfolio are key strategies being adopted by market players.
Some prominent players in the global ambulatory surgery center market include
- Community Health Systems, Inc.;
- Envision Healthcare Corporation;
- Tenet Healthcare Corporation;
- MEDNAX Services, Inc.;
- TeamHealth; Quorum Health Corporation;
- UnitedHealth Group;
- Surgery Partners;
- Healthway Medical Group.
Order a free sample PDF of the Ambulatory Surgery Center Market Intelligence Study, published by Grand View Research.
About Grand View Research
Grand View Research is a full-time market research and consulting company registered in San Francisco, California. The company fully offers market reports, both customized and syndicates, based on intense data analysis. It also offers consulting services to business communities and academic institutions and helps them understand the global and business scenario to a significant extent. The company operates across multitude of domains such as Chemicals, Materials, Food and Beverages, Consumer Goods, Healthcare, and Information Technology to offer consulting services.
Company Name: Grand View Research, Inc.
Contact Person: Sherry James, Corporate Sales Specialist – U.S.A.
Email: Send Email
Address:Grand View Research, Inc. 201 Spear Street 1100 San Francisco, CA 94105, United States
City: San Francisco
Country: United States