viastore Systems’ Nancy Malone, regional sales manager, discussed why the majority of surprises in automation and/or software implementation in warehouse or distribution centers are unwelcome.
Malone recommended seven tips to help avoid setbacks to both schedule and budget:
- Understand why the organization is undertaking this automation and/or software implementation.
- Establish a comprehensive list of “as-is” and “to-be” documentation.
- Determine early who will champion the project from the information technology (IT) team, and from the operations team, i.e. executive sponsorship.
- Designate a point person to coordinate between multiple vendors.
- Beware the islands of automation. If you are installing a variety of new automated material handling technologies, be sure that all equipment and its operating software (new and existing) are networkable and connectable.
- Consider the amount of training time that will be needed – then double it. This is especially critical when the new installation or upgrade represents a significant change in current processes.
- Dedicate ample time to testing and commissioning. Make sure to test all paths through the facility and software, paying special attention to exception processing.
To read more, go to: http://bit.ly/246dxXG
viastore Systems, Inc. will be exhibiting at the 2016 MODEX event April 4-7, 2016 at the Georgia World Congress Center at Booth #1439. At MODEX, solutions needed to solve tough manufacturing and supply chain challenges, identify best practices, exceed customer demands and gain competitive edge are available. viastore will be presenting a special session titled, “An Incremental Approach to Automation and ROI” on April 5, 2016 from 12:45-1:30 in Theater H.
The link to register is: http://bit.ly/1O70T0a
About viastore Systems, Inc.
For over 40 years, viastore Systems, Inc. (http://bit.ly/1PxYifB) has been a leading international provider of automated material handling solutions including AS/RS (automated storage and retrieval systems), conveyor and shuttle systems, warehouse management systems software, material flow and process controls, and integrated SAP logistics solutions. The company employs over 470 people worldwide and has annual sales of over $140 Million.
viastore’s focus is on consulting and planning, together with the implementation and constant improvement of intralogistics solutions with locations in Germany, USA, France, Spain, Czech Republic, Russia, China, Croatia, Turkey, Poland, Israel, Ukraine, Sweden, and Brazil. viastore, with North American headquarters in Grand Rapids, MI, is an integrated and certified partner for all major ERP system database and operating system suppliers such as SAP, Oracle, and Microsoft. viastore earned a return spot on Food Logistics’ 2015 FL100+ list of software and technology providers whose products and solutions are key to the global food supply chain.
viastore is a proud member of MHI.
Company Name: Viastore Systems Inc.
Contact Person: John Clark
Email: Send Email
Address:4890 Kendrick Street SE
City: Grand Rapids
Country: United States