This cream cheese frosting is highly addictive. Make more than you think that’s needed just to err on the safe side.
This versatile cream cheese icing can be used on a variety of different cupcakes such as:
Not only does this icing match so well with different kinds of sponge, you can actually give it different flavours.
Lemon: 4 tbsp lemon juice or 4tsp lemon zest
Ginger: 2tsp ground ginger
Peppermint: 3tsp peppermint extract
Cinnamon: 10ml (2 tsp) ground cinnamon [used in the photos with Pumpkin Cupcakes]
Coconut: freshly grated or dried flaked coconut
Chinese Five Spice: 1 tsp
Bourbon: add a little at a time, right consistency – keep shape – and flavour, try other alcohol such as Baileys Irish Cream Liqueur.
Chilli: chili powder, add little at a time to taste. Use with chocolate for Cinco de Mayo theme.
This icing tastes so good that you’d like to eat it all straight out of the bowl!
- 140g (9½ tbsp) butter
- 225g (1⅔ cup) icing sugar, sieved
- 210g (1 cup) cream cheese
- 7.5ml (1½ tsp) vanilla extract
- Leave the butter to warm to room temperature and cut into cubes. Place the butter in a bowl and beat with a stand or hand mixer on high speed until pale and fluffy, which should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Beat the sugar into the butter for 3-5 minutes until well mixed.
- Don’t forget to scrape the bowl occasionally with a rubber spatula to ensure that all ingredients are blended well together.
- Add the cream cheese and any flavouring of your choice to the mixture and beat until fluffy.
- Spread, spoon or pipe the icing on cooled down cupcakes.