As a representation of their love and appreciation, now is the time that children are looking for the ultimate Mother’s Day gift. Leading up to the holiday, the Childrens Cancer Recovery Foundation (CCRF) advises the public to be mindful of certain products, such as particular brands of make-up that contain cancer-causing toxins. As part of its Toxic-Free Kids initiative, CCRF asks shoppers to consider safe alternatives for their Mother’s Day gifts this year.
According to the American Osteopathic Association, most women are unaware of the toxic chemicals found in some cosmetics and their links to long-term health problems. People are exposed to toxins by swallowing chemicals on their lips, absorbing them through their skin, or by breathing in sprays. Moreover, many of these chemicals may interfere with the body’s endocrine and hormone system. In some cases, they can produce adverse developmental, reproductive, neurological and immune effects, such as cancer, organ failure and birth defects.
CCRF offers this toxic-free Mother’s Day shopping guide:
- Natural Make-up - If your mother is an avid cosmetics user, make-up made from natural ingredients is the perfect gift for her. Read the labels and stay away from companies that use harmful chemicals, such as phthalates, placental extracts and benzophenones. Look for brands that use all natural ingredients; Bare Minerals and Earth Makeup are two brands that look great without the dangerous chemicals.
- Candles Made with Beeswax - Candles that contain an artificial scent or paraffin can potentially cause lung cancer. As a toxic-free alternative, purchase a candle that is naturally scented or made with beeswax.
- Homemade Body Scrub - Instead of purchasing an expensive body scrub, which could contain harmful chemicals, create your own toxic-free one. This affordable option can be easily created with household materials, such as sugar and olive oil. Many toxic-free body scrub recipes can be found online.
- Gift Certificate to Toxic-Free Spa - Mothers work hard all year long; nothing says “I love you” more than a gift certificate to a toxic-free spa. These spas only use non-chemical products in their treatments.
- The Honest Co. – Created by Golden Globe award-winning actress Jessica Alba, The Honest Co. offers an entire line of products dedicated to being toxic-free. From cleaning products to bath and body, mothers can be rest-assured they are purchasing safe products.
About Children’s Cancer Recovery Foundation (CCRF)
Headquartered in Harrisburg, PA with a division in The Woodlands, TX, the Children’s Cancer Recovery Foundation supports children under 18 and their families facing the hardships of cancer. The foundation performs acts of care and kindness through the following programs: Bear-Able Gifts (largest distributor of gifts to children with cancer in the U.S.); Toxic-Free Kids (educates families on the dangers of environmental toxins); New Era Cancer Research Fund (funds research for less toxic, minimally-invasive pediatric-cancer treatments); International Aid (provides medications and supplies to clinics in developing and impoverished countries); Helping Hands Fund (provides emergency financial assistance to families); and Camp Scholarships (allows children in remission to reconnect with activities they love). With a national pediatric-hospital partner network of 215+ locations, the foundation directly helps more than 15,000 children affected by cancer and their families every year. Please visit www.ChildrensCancerRecovery.org.